A comprehensive dental examination will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. A regular dental examination will also be performed each visit after your professional dental cleaning. Your examination includes:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening to check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums.
- Gum disease evaluation to check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of all tooth surfaces to check for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations including current fillings, crowns, and other dental appliances.
- Examination of the alignment and position of teeth to determine if orthodontia is
- Evaluation of the airway as it relates to sleep disorders such as sleep apnea.
Back to Procedures